A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Friday, July 14, 2006

How lucky we are...

I was going to make a very upbeat, happy post about how I am through with school and starting my summer vacation, but I can't. The attacks between Israel and Lebanon have really touched me in the last two days.

I read historical romances for the character's way of life. The strife and struggle of carving a family and future out of the wilds of an uncivilized land. And often I stop and think how far removed current Americans are to this situation. Have we ever gone hungry? Or been subjected to the elements? Or exposed to the brutality of war? Many of us can say we have never been any closer than the picture on the tv or the words on a page. But I suddenly find myself thinking of the children who aren't that lucky... The children being raised in Israel and Lebanon. The children who know what it is to be hungry and to know that leaving your home to find food could lead to your death. The children whose entire childhood memories will contain the sound of bombs, blasts and gunfire. And their mental images will always have rubble in the background.

Lately, I have been thinking of these people who are trying to just keep their families together and safe in the midst of something bigger than they are. The mother and father who need to protect their children, the teenagers who want to use the strife of their land to express themselves and set themselves out as individuals. And what about the couples? The young lovers who want to fall in love and marry and have a family. What of them?

But mainly, I feel for the children. Children who will now have to live with the nightmares their heads of state have created for them. The children who will try to see past the pain in the future and build a family for themselves. For everyone living through this crisis that is the Middle East, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

...Fiona...

3 touched me

Blogger Mailyn pondered...

I feel you, these things are on my mind constantly as I have quite a few friends from different countries who have been exposed to wars, etc. It's a sad thing to think that in this day and age we are still not above famines, wars, and all those things.

7/14/2006 06:26:00 PM  
Blogger Marg pondered...

It's easy to get complacent about how easy life is for us sometimes, comparatively speaking. Thanks for a very thoughtful post.

7/14/2006 07:01:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

We are very lucky. Glad you ladies read the post.

Fi

7/16/2006 11:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.