A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Friday, July 07, 2006

The Bride by Julie Garwood

This book freaking rocks! OMG! It is soooo awesome!

The fab-u-lous ladies at Turn Another Page choose The Bride by Julie Garwood as their Remembering the Classics book pick for July.

In this book, King Edward orders Baron Jameson to allow two highland chieftans to marry the daughters of their choice. Jamie is chosen by Laird Kincaid.

Alec, the laird of Clan Kincaid has no problem choosing a wife at his king's command, a wife is nothing more than chattle, one who obeys their husband and does his bidding.

Most wives do, that is.

This is my favorite scene from the book:

"Let me understand this," Jamie began. "You really think I'm going --"

"It's very simply, wife. If you're loyal to Scotland, you're loyal to me. You'll see the rightness of it once you've settled in."

"Once I've what?" Her voice was suspiciously soft.

"Once you've settled in," Alec repeated.

Her throat started aching with the need to shout at this arrogant man. Then she remembered Beak's suggestion not to nudge the laird's temper until she knew what kind of reaction she was going to get.

She'd better be cautious, she decided. It was common knowledge that Scots lashed out before thinking better of it. They all beat their wives as often as the inclination come over them.

"Sheep settle in Kincaid. I'm a lady, if you haven't taken the time to notice."


"I've noticed."

The way he drew out that remark made her heart quicken.

"Yes," she stammered. "Women, you see, don't settle in. It isn't at all the same."

"It is," he contradicted with a lazy grin.

"No, it isn't," she snapped. "You'll have to take my word on this."

"Are you challenging me, English?"

I love when Alec calls Jamie English. It's a great quirk of his character. Alec is a great alpha hero. He's strong and powerful and tough but not a dim-witted stubborn ass. And Jamie is probably a little too forward thinking for her time, but she's a funny, strong-willed heroine.

Read this if you never have and reread it if you have!

Other news:

Garwood is apparently going to break my reading slump! Woo-Hoo! I finished The Bride in two days, The Secret today and now I've started Saving Grace. I think in honor of Johnny Depp I'm going to read Castles, The Gift and Guardian Angel next. I know I've read Garwood before, lots actually, but I don't keep records and can't remember. The Secret sounded familiar as I read it. Anyway, it's been, oh...8 years since I've read a Garwood, so a rereading glom is just what I need.

Speaking of Pirates of the Caribbean, I had no idea it was going to be such a box office smash! All shows were sold out Friday and Saturday at three different theaters here in town. Holy cow!

...Fiona...

6 touched me

Blogger Kristie (J) pondered...

I knew it was going to be big! I'm thinking he's going to beat the hell out of that Superman!!! I loved the first one and have been waiting for this one ever since I heard there was going to be one.

7/08/2006 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger Samantha pondered...

I just got back from seeing the second Pirates and I have to say that I'm a extremely pissed off at the way it ended.

The bride was just okay for me. Alec was way to alpha male for my tastes, but I did really like Jamie.

7/08/2006 11:57:00 PM  
Blogger Holly pondered...

I had some issues with TB and Jamie, but I'll fill you in on those later.

I haven't seen PotC yet. Izzy said it was ok, but not as good as the first, so I'll prolly wait until it's out on DVD to watch it. I'm cheap like that. LOL

7/09/2006 04:10:00 AM  
Blogger Isabel pondered...

I like The Bride, but I like The Wedding better. Probably because it was the first romance I ever read.


The end made me mad too. lol. Damn cliff hangers.

7/09/2006 03:04:00 PM  
Blogger ~ames~ pondered...

We wanted to go see PotC last night but the theaters were psychotic!!

7/09/2006 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Have you seen it yet Kristie???? Hmmm?????

Really Samantha? He's a little barbaric with the whole Come Now Wife kinda attitude, but I thought he bended much easier than most alphas. I can take high handedness in my Highlanders, it's the regency era where it comes across as more annoying.

I'm dying to know Holly! You keep dangling that in front of me like a carrot!!!

Izzy...I'm going to read The Wedding next then I can rank 'em!

We're going to wait another week Ames and then go on a week day. Maybe it won't be as crowded.

...Fiona

7/10/2006 09:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.