A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Friday, April 07, 2006

15 Things About My Life With Books

I was just introduced to memes with this one. Just couldn't resist.

15 Things about My Life with Books

1. I was a smart ass in school, and if I couldn’t be the best in math, I would be the best reader-damnit. Hence, my addiction to the classics. I read A Tale of Two Cities at the start of 7th grade. I can’t remember where I heard about it, but when I suggested it to my English teacher and she said it was too grown up for me, the gauntlet had been tossed. I read it and I loved it.

2. Wuthering Heights was my next Everest after ATTC.

3. There was a book in 8th grade, can’t remember the title, but it was about a girl who hated her nose and changed her name to Rose. Rose was my first feminist, and to her I will be eternally grateful.

4. Jacob Have I Loved was an obvious read for me in school. Little did I know it would be on the same shelf as my future addiction…

5. Chain Letter. Yes, that’s what I said. Chain Letter by Christopher Pike introduced a world of vocabulary, mystery, intrigue and….sex. Sex for a 13 year old was like water to a dying man. I was obsessed and utterly ashamed. I would hold my Pike books behind my back when walking by adults. I just knew that the words I was reading were going to leap off the pages and in front of my History teacher.

6. I have five large, teal plastic tubs full of books. Plastic because of the hurricanes and teal so I can find them when moving. My DH has had to move them 5 times now, and he’s never once complained, hence why he’s my DH.

7. My unabashed addiction to owning books has spilled over into my work. I own more YA books than the shelves in my classroom can hold.

8. I adopt discarded books like the Humane Society does cats. I can’t bear to see a cracked spine or a ripped cover become desolate in a dusty corner or dirty trashcan. I rescue them, nurse them back to health and then force their poor, ragged little bodies on others to treasure and adore. Every time I do this the song, Percy the Puny Poinsettia from the Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer CD plays in my head.

9. I have a dark secret…I love the big chain bookstores. As much as they are killing the little book nooks we all so love, I am drawn like a moth to the flame.

10. A girl named Becky in my 9th grade typing class gave me the book Perfect by Judith McNaught. I was a virgin to the genre. I stayed up all night, finished the book and failed my Biology test the next day. After school I went and bought three more McNaught books.

11. I’ve read one Harlequin Blaze book and still blush when I think about it.

12. I was so wrapped up in C. Pike that I wrote an excerpt from his book, Final Friends, in my boyfriend’s yearbook (something about making passionate love on a boat, bodies entangled with the ocean mist…). His mother was not pleased. This one will go down as my #2 All-Time Faux Pas.

13. I will pull over on the side of the road and read a chapter of my current book because I just can’t go another minute without knowing what happens next.

14. I will search through the shelves on the bookstore looking for a series. I am a series whore.

15. I am fascinated with biographies and feel ultra-cool when reading one. I do not, however, finish them. I have dozens of biographies and memoirs strewn through my house, all with bookmarks slid somewhere in the middle.

...Fiona...

3 touched me

Blogger Holly pondered...

LMAO! This is good! I read my book at red lights and 9 times out of 10 I get honked at when it changes. *Sigh*

I've even eyed my book while driving, mentally trying to decide if I can read and drive at the same time. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to figure out a way eventually. You just watch and see. LOL

I might steal..er, borrow this from you. ;)

6/28/2006 09:53:00 PM  
Blogger Valeen pondered...

this is so neat! But I don't think I'd have 15 things to say. I may uhm .. steal ... it as well.

I do the exact same thing, read at red lights, I also read at the drive through.

I've seriously thought hard about pulling it out while I'm driving but I haven't tried it either. When you figure out a way let me know. THIS was the joy of taking the bus to work when I first moved to the city.

6/29/2006 03:06:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Steal away! Glad you enjoyed! I read in line at stores (Wal-Mart, Publix).

6/29/2006 04:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.