A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Pay Day!

Dear Summer School Gods,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize. I am sorry about all of the cursing you have been receiving from me the last nine days. I was upset at having my darling, lovable 5 years-olds yanked from my grasp and having ill-behaved, oppositionally defiant 13 year-olds shoved in my face. I understand that it takes a special person to handle ODD* and that the teacher couldn't deal with it and quit, leaving you high and dry but still, this was to be a break for me. A step outside the box so to speak. And yet here I am, dealing with what I deal with the other 9 months out of the year.

Oh, how I bow to your wisdom. Your offer of a paygrade increase seemed luke warm at best when I walked into the new class you all but forced (guilted!) me into. We fought, we screamed, we cried, and finally, finally, they began to work and yet, nothing could ease the pain of Michaels screams as I left the playground and he couldn't come with me. Telling him "No" and "Stay" were heart-wrenching. Hearing my little guys begging me to come back to their class was almost too much to bear. I was ready to walk away and leave it all behind. I have been so distraught that I have not even been able to talk about this situation.

Slowly but surely... my little guys have attached to their new teacher, bless their hearts. And the new guy is even learning signs from me while on the playground! And my new class is calming down, damage control is well under way and they have seen who is going to win the battle! And then, as if the icing on the cake for me, the check came in. After weeks of working for free and days of tears, sweat and blood, you have made it pay off in the best way...monetarily.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Your humble servant,
Fiona

*Oppositional Defiance Disorder

4 touched me

Blogger Suisan pondered...

I'm really not sure what kids of person is capable of teaching during the year and hen going back for more to teach in the summer.

I know I couldn't do it.

Teachers have my unflagging respect, and there's not enough money in the world to properly pay you for your work.

Seriously.

I admired teachers when I was a parent. But it's nothing compared to my feelings for them now that I sit on a school board and have a glimpse into the daily life and work environment. You all need medals.

6/29/2006 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger ~ames~ pondered...

I was going to ask you last night (before I had to leave!) how summer school was going. It's good that your old class is getting used to a new teacher. But having to work with 13 year olds all year round? You have the patience of a saint. LOL

Good stuff on more money!!

6/29/2006 01:08:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Thanks Suisan. Of course, compared to what you have to deal with...at least I can send my frustration outside to swing on the playground...how would the Union rep take that comment? LOL

*sniff, sniff* Ames abandoned me! Yeah, things are settling back down...but a saint? haha No way, not me!

...Fi

6/29/2006 04:17:00 PM  
Blogger Holly pondered...

I'm glad things are settling down for you, and that the money is better.

This morning my son said, "Mom, you should be a teacher." I looked at him for a second and said, "Honey, some people are made to teach other, and some people to learn. Me? I'm just along for the ride." LOL

Good on ya!

Did you D/L MSN yet so we can chat???

6/29/2006 06:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.