A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Guess what Tuesday is!?!

That's right!

Tuesday is the release of On The Way To The Wedding by Julia Quinn.

While surfing this morning I found Cheryl Sneed's review on AAR...tis not good ladies:

As I said, this was a solid B read for me, an enjoyable, comfortable read until the last quarter or so of the book. Then, it suddenly turned into a Romantic Suspense plot. In the last 50 pages, there are kidnappings, and treason, and gunplay - oh my! It just didn't fit in with the atmosphere and tone that had been established throughout the novel.

But even worse, to my mind, is that Lucy and Gregory's HEA is entirely dependent upon a huge historical inaccuracy. I can't even tell you what it is, for it happens in the last chapter and as such would be beyond Spoiler Territory. Suffice it to say that it completely stopped me in my tracks, and left me stunned. Julia Quinn has been writing in this era for a long time; she should know this. And if she didn't, it only makes sense that if the HEA hinges on this plot development, to do some research on the subject, see just what is entailed in it, if it is even a viable solution. As it is, it's just completely wrong, and it's sloppy and it's lazy, which just makes me nuts.

Damn, damn, damn.

If Cheryl is to be believed, tis not good news a-tall.

...Fiona...

10 touched me

Anonymous Anonymous pondered...

I've been waiting for this!! :)

I have only heard from one other reader on this, she got an ARC to review and she really enjoyed it. Maybe she hadn't gotten to the end yet.

6/25/2006 07:45:00 PM  
Blogger Isabel pondered...

Oh I can't wait to read it. Hmmm, I'm not a history buff, so maybe the ending won't bother me.

6/25/2006 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger Holly pondered...

Oh, that doesn't sound good at all..

6/25/2006 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger sybil pondered...

I have to say the end wouldn't have registered with me as a big deal

of course I still need to read her books...

6/26/2006 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Can I just say that we went out yesterday and I checked every store (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Waldens and BAM) hoping some idiot had accidentally put it out early.

No such luck.

6/26/2006 06:13:00 AM  
Blogger sybil pondered...

LOL I am gonna go look today, uh in just a min for something else. I shall tell you if it is there *g*.

6/26/2006 01:30:00 PM  
Blogger Jennie pondered...

That review just makes me want to read it even more, to see if I know what the historical inaccuracy is. I probably won't!!

6/27/2006 06:53:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

LOL Jennie!

I picked it up today!

...Fi

6/27/2006 07:24:00 PM  
Blogger Rowena pondered...

I'm going in a little bit to get it, but I'm like Izzy, I'm not much of a history buff so it probably won't bother me at all...

6/27/2006 09:36:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Now I'm dying to finish it so I can see if I catch it!

6/28/2006 05:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.