A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Friday, June 30, 2006

Angie's June TBR

I seriously almost did not get this one done!

June TBR Challenge

A book you picked up based on someone’s recommendation or the buzz surrounding it.

Title: The Flame and The Flower

Author: Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Year published: 1972

Why did you get this book? Because Valeen and Jennifer from TAP picked it for their Remembering the Classics book for June (does that mean I'm double dipping?)

Do you like the cover? It's okay. It's not nearly as bad as could be. At least the setting is appropriate and correlates iwth the book but the models are not what I had pictured of the characters.

Did you enjoy the book? Very much so.

Was the author new to you and would you read something by this author again? Although Woodiwiss has been around a long time, I've never read her before now.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? Are you kidding? It's going on the Keeper Shelf!

Anything else? I loved the book.

I thought the rape scene was one of the most "horrific" that I have read to date. Horrific as in, the heroine wanted NOTHING to do with it. A lot of times you see a little resistance but some enjoyment found in the act, but not in this book...and twice!

The lack of sex in the rest of the book was sorta annoying but I loved that the h/h stayed together and interacted throughout the entire novel.

Heather definitely had several awful attributes but I felt she grew and came in to her own there at the end.

And I liked Brandon. I like alpha therefore I like Brandon. Of course he is a dufus, he's not supposed to know how to be anything else, but he was quite possessive and protective and...sigh.

Anyway...loved it! And I have already started Elusive Flame which is Beau's (the son) story.

...Fiona...

5 touched me

Blogger ~ames~ pondered...

I remember Elusive Flame, but for the life of me, I can't remember reading this one. Is this the one where he thinks she's a whore? And then doesn't believe the baby is his?

7/01/2006 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

LOL Ames...I don't know. I sure hope that isn't a spoiler! HAHAHA

I know they have sex while Beau is sick and he doesn't remember and Cerynise refuses to tell him that she is pregnant for fear he will think she has trapped him. That's where I left off when I started the new Quinn.

...Fi

7/01/2006 02:28:00 PM  
Blogger Suisan pondered...

I keep meaning to read this.

Thanks for writing it up so that I can remind myself one more time that I keep meaning to read this.

There were a few Busbees in the early eighties I read where the heroine was seriously not into it either.

Suspension of disbelief?

7/01/2006 07:59:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

LOL Suisan. It's really good! Go read it!

Fi

7/02/2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger CindyS pondered...

I don't remember liking Elusive Flame so I would say read Shanna and then read A Rose in Winter - they were friggin' awesome!! Now I want to re-read all my Woodiwiss but uh, my books are in the closet ;)

CindyS

7/04/2006 10:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.