A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Friday, April 28, 2006

Everything is easier with 13-year-olds


As I began class today I showed my students two books. This is not unusual. As a reading teacher I often give book talks, reading excerpts and passages to my students to interest them in different novels, introduce an author or a genre. They enjoy this. It is often their favorite part of the class (probably because it does not require them to work!)

So today I told them I was going to read two books, in the order in which they were written and published. That is all the information they received.

I began by reading 3 scenes from Megan McCafferty's book, Sloppy Firsts.

When finished, I sat the book down and read 3 passages from Kaavya Viswanathan book, How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life.

When I finished reading the three scenes I put the book down and looked at my class.

"She copied!" they yelled in unison.

"Isn't that called plag-ar-something?" I hear from the back.

Need I say more?

...Fiona...

1 touched me

Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Yes CW, I often present life's biggest questions to my classes and they never fail me with an answer.

...Fi

4/29/2006 05:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.