A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Friday, April 21, 2006

Reformed rakes make the best husbands...


Reformed rakes and other shit…

I like Lisa Kleypas, and I like her books. She is currently #9 on Fiona’s Fiduciary Author List. I just finished her most recent, Devil in Winter. It was good, I’d give it a B+. It didn’t blow me away. I felt that Evie went from the old Evie to the new Evie without letting me know why. I mean, I saw it happen, but she didn’t talk to me about it, and it could have easily been done. I felt cheated. And Sebastian, *looong sigh* who couldn’t love this guy? I should warn some of you *wink*, Sebastian had me at h-he-hello. I mean, I have to love any character who loves a stammerer. My DH stutters and I just melted. But, sorry, he’s no Derek Craven. Even with the pretend-you’re-Sara-for-just-one-night-wench, he’s no Derek Craven. The conflict was good, but I kept waiting for a bigger bomb to drop…never happened. But I always concentrate on the negative, hhmmm...

Evie was one tough cookie. I really liked how she could get knocked around and still stand up and say, “I’m fine.” No whimpy whining for this heroine! And Sebastian! Finally a hero who feels guilt about something OTHER than his father and/or his love for the heroine (even though he had a little of this). Sebastian was brought low in a very innovative way and his dealings with Westcliff and Lillian…nice Ms. Kleypas, nice. Kleypas writes complicated, not-so-perfect characters, and I love them. Oh well, it was good, I enjoyed it, and I would recommend it.

On a side note...I wasn't crazy about the title. Devil in Winter? Nah, didn't do it for me. I didn't feel the weather played a big enough role to earn a place in the title. Cover is nice, but the inside flap! WTF?!? OMG! It is awful! A-W-F-U-L. A) They never went outside except at the inns and B) it never mentioned snow. C) He never wore a cape, D) let alone one without a shirt. And E) what woman, TSTL or no, would be OUTSIDE in the snow BAREFOOT? And is that a bear rug? Outside? On the snow??? Arrggggg...

I got a haircut today, and a good one! And more sun…I’m going to have a nice tan before June! Woo-Hoo!

Longer post to come but I wanted to throw this out there. I judge my books based on my heroes. Didn’t always and probably won’t always, but currently, I do. What about you? What is your deciding factor for judging a book? If you could only pick one? Hero? Heroine? Plot? Secondary Characters? HEA?

Until tomorrow,
…Fiona…

5 touched me

Blogger Suisan pondered...

Just finished this one recently too.

Sebastian is good--I thought his stammer went away by the end though, or at least it wasn't commented on, which bothered me a little. And for me, dialogue makes the book. Other than that, the plot has not not have any gaping holes, and I focus on the hero. Dialogue

4/22/2006 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Suisan pondered...

I guess dialogue means quite a bit to me since it came up twice in the comment...I really need to slow this typing down a touch.

4/22/2006 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Suisan,

Yes, Evie's stammer did take a backseat through most of the book. But most stammer and stutterers do it much less with poeple they are familiar with. Which is something you would expect as the book progresses.

And I totally agree, dialogue can definitely make or break a book for me. I usually don't notice good dialogue, but man do I notice when it is bad!

...Fi

4/22/2006 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Kristie (J) pondered...

Actually while I love a good hero I judge by the heroine. It's the heroine that can make or break a book for me.
And here I thought you didn't like Derek :) Does this mean a vote on the Derek side as opposed to Sybil's Sebatian side? (heh heh)

4/22/2006 07:40:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

KristieJ,

Another score on Derek's side of the board.

...Fi

4/23/2006 11:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.