A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Gouging out my eyes with a spoon

My Saturday morning went something like this:

Wake up *yawn*

Make coffee *yum*

Blog hop *yeah!*

Run across this post of Suisan's

Clicked here

Entered a world of rage and prejudice (thought about linking)

Blog hopped in said world of rage and prejudice (decided you are better off not knowing)

Found a very innocent looking teenage girl who won a $1000 scholarship for writing

this

No. Words. Can. Convey. My. Horror.

Fiona

{Side Note: Is the new fear tactic of extremist pro-lifers to tell teenage girls that having an abortion will cause breast cancer? The American Cancer Society has this to say:

"Both abortion and breast cancer are topics that can bring out strong emotions in people. The issue of abortion generates passionate personal and political viewpoints, regardless of a possible disease connection. Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women, and it can be a life-threatening disease that most women fear.

Linking these 2 topics understandably generates a great deal of emotion, as well as controversy. Research studies, however, have not found a cause-and-effect relationship between abortion and breast cancer."

End Side Note}

12 touched me

Blogger Bob & Muffintop pondered...

I'm not even gonna go through the links at Suisans. Those people are damnned scary, is all I have to say. Have fun when you go to CA- KristieJ & CindyS are up somehwere in Ontario I think.

OT- Tag You're it! See my Fri Feb 9th entry.

2/10/2007 02:48:00 PM  
Blogger Kate Diamond pondered...

Wow. I read the essay and I'm so upset. As an English teacher and former history major, I think it's wrong to reward people for using faulty reasoning/information in their essays.

Shouldn't we be encouraging young people to always be as accurate as possible in their writing? We can sway people emotionally using anecdotes, personal testimonials, and facts... why resort to fake scare-tactics?

This is like those people who complain that condoms aren't 100% effective and convince impressionable people that they might as well not bother.

2/10/2007 05:14:00 PM  
Blogger Suisan pondered...

Hey Fiona, thanks for commenting both at my blog and at the world of rage and hate.

Totally was not expecting the pro-life (God, I hate that phrase) agenda to show up on my blog. Guess THAT'LL teach me to be honest about my feelings.

2/10/2007 07:20:00 PM  
Blogger Devon pondered...

Rage!!! Rage!! I am a Catholic and therefore pro-life, in that I would never ever get an abortion myself. But looking at these sites reminds me of why I loathe the pro-life movement with a passion. The misinformation, the propaganda and the hate and fear tactics they use make me want to barf. The pro-life movement is only concerned with unborn children. Once the child is born, they could give a rat's ass, and don't even start me on the mothers they're supposedly so worried about. If these folks spent as much time on the "born" children who lack proper healthcare, nutrition, shelter and a safe and nurturing environment, as they did searching out Suisan's blog to leave stupid comments, the world would be a much better place.

2/10/2007 09:51:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2/11/2007 08:45:00 AM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Above comment deleted by me. Had a typo. Here it is...

Thanks bookwormom...off to see what I've been tagged for! Its asking about all my weird things...isn't it?

Kate...the state wide essay writing test our 8th graders tae every year, is written in factual form but can be completely fictional. You have to wonder what kind of habits we are teaching our kids. In essence, we are saying it is okay to lie in order to gain. Very sad.

Suisan...no problem Suisan. It was just such a shock. I don't have kids, I don't get those pictures, I agreed with you and then I was like, "what the...". These people are so in left field.

Devon...I just don't understand what they think they are going to accomplish. I just can't wrap my head around it.

...Fiona...

2/11/2007 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger sybil pondered...

Wow, my first question would be why are adults encouraging teens to make other teens reconsider having an abortion?

Is this the new spin on peer pressure?

What in the hell ever happened to education and support? This is one of my biggest problems with the pro-life movement, (no disrespect to people who are personally pro-life at all, but the protesters) the people they influence are generally in the worst place to be able to care for a child.

It makes me see red to hear about this crap. I remember being in the seventh grade, in debate, and having this come up. There was a girl who sat behind me who stood up and was soooo proud of herself because she went to rallies. She had been protesting outside clinics since she was five.

I turned around and said something like where in the hell is your fathers sense? It is bad enough to protest but taking a small child to that reeks of bad parenting.

hmmm come to think of it I also made her cry when I disagreed New Kids on the Block would be around FOREVER and evah and be remembered like the beetles.

Does is shock anyone I was killing fangirl dreams all the way back then too? I am so gonna have to start posting on my livejournal again. I can't see putting this up on my blog since it isn't at all bookish. Although I do have a rant about how they never say the 'a' word in romance. No woman would EVER think about having one... or maybe that is just in harlequin.

hmmm I have completely lost my thought in rambling...

Passion is great. It can make things happen that seem impossible. I don't understand why they don't take that and do positive things.

Help the unwanted children that are already born. Go volunteer at a boys and girls club and spend time with kids who have parent(s) working to try and feed them. Be a mentor. Go hold babies born with AIDS who are left at the hospital with no one. Start a babysitting service donate time to care for kids whose parents can't afford child care.

Places like Planned Parenthood are not just factories that WANT or encourage abortion. In fact they would be just as happy to not do it. They educate the person as to their options.

So many things can be done, there are so many ways to help. And it seems like fear and hate is such a waste of energy when they could be doing better things.

you know... like forming a band *g*

2/11/2007 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Devon pondered...

Sorry for ranting on your blog, Fiona, but this has me het up, and after reading Sybil's comment I can't resist telling this story.

I have enough baby/child crap for several people, so as the kiddies started to outgrow some of it, I found myself in a position of limited storage space and no one who could use it. I felt strongly about my things going to a woman who didn't have the advantages that I do, so through my church I found a couple of organizations that I knew had to be anti-choice, but their websites said that they were non judgmental.

So I load up the Subaru and head out. I was very pleased to see a neat, organized warehouse full of carseats, strollers etc. and they were giving some things to a family while I was there. But the waiting room? Oy. I picked up some literature on birth control and I was horrified by the awful, skewed information given with no citations to back it up. Pretty much, "if you use the Pill, you will DIE" with no statistics and no references.

Plus, it got me on the mailing list for all the local anti-choice groups. After one too many stories of, "I convinced this 15 year old to have her baby, and now her pregnancy is over, and all is well, because the hard part is over," I just throw it all out without reading. Because all mothers know that the pregnancy is the tough part, the actual raising of your children is a cinch. These people don't care about the effect of their actions at all. I can only hope that women in this position are able to find informnation and support to help them in their futures.

2/11/2007 01:32:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Sybil, Devon, you comments are welcome here. Of course, I think we've aptly proved that we have our heads screwed on correctly and cringe at the antics of the far right.

Fi

2/11/2007 02:47:00 PM  
Blogger Holly pondered...

Like Devon, I'm Pro-Life, but also like Devon, the stupid scare tactics used in their campaigns make me so angry I could scream.

One of my best girlfriends lives in Omaha, and she told me she was once walking down the street with her then 5-year-old and happened to pass an abortion clinic. My girlfriend is overweight and apparently some of the protesters assumed she was pregnant. They rushed her - and her five-year-old - and started calling her a murderer and shoving pictures of "the end result" of abortions in her face...and in her daughters. She ended up calling the cops on them.

It's things like that that make me want to hunt then down and brutalize them.

Like I said, I'm Pro-Life, but it's not my place to judge someone because of the choices they made. Do I agree with abortion? Hell no. But does that mean it's my place to attack women in the streets and make up stories about possible health issues that can arise? Hell no.

And I am seriously sick about the essays. What happened to educating our teens?

Tis a sad, sorry world out there.

2/11/2007 04:23:00 PM  
Blogger Suisan pondered...

What's weird is that I volunteered for a year with a mid-wife helping prison inmates give birth to their children in a low-income hospital. The oldest girl I helped was 16. Most were 14 and 15. One was handcuffed to the bed for the entire delivery.

I'm sure that the pro-life blogs are oh so happy that THESE children came into the world. I'm sure they're falling over themselves to help those kids.

And as I've said before: pregnancy is like mud. It can be sweet-smelling, like fresh earth after a rainstorm or nasty, thick and dirty. It's a natural thing, pregnancy, and it exists in both tates, sometimes at the same time. But we don't run around glorifying mud, do we? Are people allowed to say, "Ugh. My feet are muddy and gross and wet and cold. Yuck."?

But we're not allowed to be honest about pregnancy, because that means that we like to kill children.

2/11/2007 07:06:00 PM  
Blogger sybil pondered...

The thing that bothers me the most is the 'pro-abortion' thing.

NO one is pro abortion.

Well and she deleted my post. The bitch.

2/11/2007 09:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.