A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Libertine

Has anyone seen The Libertine with Johnny Depp? Where was I when this came out?

I had a poetry professor who was short, timid and wore those stereotypical round-rimmed glasses. He was very meek (unless he was reading poetry, whoa boy, watch out then!) and his lectures were very serious. At the end of my first semester he invited all of us to Rochester Night. We met at a local restaurant, ate way too much, got roaring drunk and read bawdy poetry aloud to our horror. I'll never forget that night with Little Dude sitting at the head of our table quoting lines from Sodom by memory. It was great and this movie was exactly how I had always pictured Mr. Wilmot.

I have to say that the first two minutes of the movie are the best. If you see nothing else, see this.



...Fiona...

3 touched me

Blogger Wendy pondered...

Well I made the mistake of seeing it in the theater. B-O-R-I-N-G. I don't think The Boyfriend forgave me for a week. And you're right - the first two minutes are the best part of the whole movie....

7/27/2006 09:50:00 AM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

LOL Wendy, no Linc wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole either. But I liked it. Possibly because I know entirely more than a person should about the 2nd Earl of Rochester. I also knew how it would end so I wasn't expecting this great love story. He is correct in his prologue. You won't like him.

I wasn't crazy about the actress who played Elizabeth Barry. I expected...more from a woman who could take a libertine to his knees.

Fiona

7/27/2006 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Mailyn pondered...

this movie came out in 2004 if I remember correctly. but my memory isn't what it used to be. lol.

yes, I loved it, bought it when it came out in the UK because it took forever to reach the US.

gotta love Johnny!!!!

7/27/2006 04:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.