A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Friday, August 04, 2006

Look out Chicago!

Well, we've arrived!

1. Chicago is...different. First, we couldn't find our baggage claim terminal. Holy freakin' cow is O'Hare complicated! Sheesh! Then, we took the CTA into town...a 45 minute train ride. When we got to the station the attendants were yelling to come on that everyone could get on for free so we jumped on the bandwagon and went. The train was packed. I mean, shoulder to shoulder, no where to sit, packed in like sardines. (sssppttt, Linc was not a happy camper at this point, hehe) Every time the train stopped I had to literally get off, let everyone by and then squeeze back in without the doors hitting my backpack. It was...an experience.

2. Chicago and Boston are night and day. The people in Boston were friendly, the streets were clean, we saw maybe 5 bums while we were there and no slum areas. Chicago, not so much. The people on the train were surprisingly loud. Several large groups of locals thought nothing of talking to each other at the top of their lungs. However, it felt a lot like the busses in Orlando, so it made me a little homesick (LOL).

3. Our hotel Rocks! We are in this beautiful area of Chicago (the north side) and are only blocks from the Archbishop's residence, the Edward Russell House and Charnley-Persky House. What's so special about those places you ask? I have no idea but I should be able to tell you after dinner! Oh, right, the hotel. We are staying at the Ambassador East for $99 a night. God love Orbitz. No really, that site is da bomb.

4. I'm too embarrassed to tell you what we have spent for internet access. We thought we were having to pay in our hotel in Boston and the connection was really sucky so I wasn't on much. When we checked out this morning we weren't charged (because of said suckiness), so yeah! But we did pay for wi-fi at the airport because we got there so early and then we had to pay a flat fee for each day here at the ambassador. Ugh. We are some serious nerds.

5. We're off to explore. I can see Lake Michigan from the hotel window so we're headed over to Lincoln Park. After that I don't know. Maybe dinner at Navy Pier. We'll see.

6. I'm halfway through Midnight Magic by Feehan and I'm loving it. I had a hard time picturing Gregori and Savannah. Gregori's just so...old. And Savannah was a little annoying with her whinny butt attitude in the beginning but I'm really liking it now. I love the whole young innocent saves the older dark hero from himself. I really enjoy that plot. I wonder why?

Happy reading!
...Fiona...

3 touched me

Blogger Mailyn pondered...

wow, you live in Orlando?! I grew up in Orlando! and I live in Miami now! I go there quite a lot because I still have family. we should get together next time I'm up there!

so cool that you went to Boston and now Chicago. I have a friend who grew up in Chicago and he misses it a lot. I've alway wanted to go there.

have fun!!!

8/04/2006 07:16:00 PM  
Blogger Samantha pondered...

There's a lot of different stuff going on here this weekend. The Tall ships are in town. They are awesome and it's 12 bucks to board all of them. Lolapoluza, i totally spelt that all wrong, is going on but I'm not sure how that works ticket wise. Halsted days down on Halsted street, which is the gay district. They have a lot interesting shops there and there's going to be a lot of different food vendors, etc. up and down the street.

And if you have the chance, see Wicked. It's playing at the Oriental down on Randolph street. Awesome play.

8/04/2006 08:12:00 PM  
Blogger Holly pondered...

I love Chi-Town. I know it's crowded and dirty and loud, but there's just something about it that's always captured me.

I didn't realize you weren't headed home yet. How fun!

I can't wait to see what else you're up to.

8/05/2006 12:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.