A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Terrible Tuesday...

Or Dark Tuesday. I would take Dark Tuesday, that would work too.

1. School is over. Yeah!



2. I caved for Walden's 5 for 4 romance sale. I bought:

-A Singular Lady by Megan Frampton

-The Wife Trap by Tracy Anne Warren

-The Husband Trap by Tracy Anne Warren

-Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

-Her Master and Commander by Karen Hawkins
(because Bookseller Chick gave me the itch for a pirate)

3. I bought Voyeur by Shiloh Walker (thanks to Valeen for the rec!)

**Warning--The rest of this post is a pity party...read on only if you can handle the woe**

4. For those of you familiar with FL...I live under the dictatorship of the eval brother Jeb and a teacher's worth is measured by a single test. Test results came in today, hence the need for ice cream and books. Lots and lots of books.

5. Linc has started his night class (5:30-9:30 every Tuesday and Thursday)

6. I didn't get the summer school position that I wanted.

7. No news is bad news when it means I haven't been told I won Diana's ARC contest.

8. The brush fires are out of control. We are getting news channel helicopter fly bys and the smoke is so bad that I had to turn the AC off (not able to filter out the smell) and you can't go outside for the burning eyes and terrible smell.

Woe is me...

...Fiona...

9 touched me

Blogger Megan Frampton pondered...

I don't think I won the arc, either.

Sorry about all the woe (whoa!).

What do the possibly not good test results mean for you?

And thank you for buying my book. I hope it helps you escape for a little while.

5/23/2006 06:52:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Megan,
It's not that the scores were bad, they just weren't awesome like I would have liked. The kids are given a number between 1 and 5. A 3, 4, or 5 will allow them to go through high school as usual. For students receiving a 1 or 2 (considered below grade level) they will lose their elective classes and have to go to double reading intensive classes in an attempt to pick up their scores for next year.

It is just that we work so hard and to see the kids gain points but drop a level (yes, they can gain but if they don't gain enough points then they can drop levels--Bushamatics) is very disheartening.

If I must be honest, as much as I know it's not possible, I always think I'm going to open that folder and see that all of my kids have passed. 100% And we will hold hands and sing Koom-by-ya while twirling in a circle.

...Fi

5/23/2006 08:49:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy pondered...

My younger sister also teaches in Florida - 9th grade English. Pour a few drinks in her, say the words "no child left behind" and watch her head explode. It's kind of entertaining in a sad sort of way.

You know who I feel sorry for? The kids who just plain don't test well. They're not stupid. They're not even lazy. They just suck at standardized testing. Let's burn 'em at the stake!

5/23/2006 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

It is a very sad system Wendy. Most of my melancholy stems from the thought of what these kids will be missing out on their first year of high school. All the students who did not "pass" lose their electives and now have to take 90 minutes of intensive reading.

What a way to instill a love of reading, eh?

...Fi

5/23/2006 11:47:00 PM  
Blogger ~ames~ pondered...

Hi Fiona, sorry to hear about all your woe. But I'm glad you got a bunch of books.

5/23/2006 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger sybil pondered...

god I hate those tests... the make my lil sis ill. And she is a smart girl. OMG she works herself up over it all.

So we feel your pain in texas too

Nice books, except the Hawkins. Do tell me how you like it. I had all her books until Lady in Red just annoyed the crap out of me.

5/24/2006 10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Thanks Ames!

Hawkins sounds familiar to me...I'm going to have to look in my journals but I haven't read Lady in Red.

Annoying how?

...Fi

5/24/2006 03:55:00 PM  
Blogger sybil pondered...

Well it could be I was drugged or something because I was really looking forward to Lady in Red. It was the end of a series and since reading it I went back and reread the whole thing.

And found most of it really blah. Part of the problem is I was so looking forward to it. And sadly I can't even really why now.

The story was boring and never went any where to grab your attention at all. It didn't make sense is spots and seem to make the most of the term wallpaper historical. The chick annoyed me to tears by acting stupid while she is suppose to be the glue holding this family together.

Nothing sticks out in my mind as being horrid unless you count the total and complete waste of time and money. I doubt I pick her up again.

5/25/2006 05:05:00 AM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Wallpaper historical? *gasp*

LOL

Thanks Sybil...I'll let you know.

...Fi

5/25/2006 06:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.