A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Movie Day...

What I'm watching today:

Casanova
Staring Heath Ledger and Sienna Miller

Sienna Miller? Oh my, I didn't even recognize her. When I began the movie I immediately thought that Francesca (Sienna) looked exactly what I pictured Lillian Bowman to look like (from It Happened One Autumn). I spent half the movie thinking this before I could even get into the movie!

The movie itself was just okay. I enjoyed the fencing scene between Casonva and Francesca. I was not expecting as much comedy that was in the film. I would have prefered it to be a little more serious.

See the review from Blogcritics




Girl with a Pearl Earring
Staring Colin Firth and Scarlett Johansson

Colin played the artist Johannes Vermeer well but he looked dirty throughout the entire movie. Not rugged or artistic, but greasy and unkept. Scarlett...well, I just didn't get Scarlett's portrayal of Griet. Some think she portrayed her character with "repressed passion". I got an uncomfortable sense of misunderstanding.

Oh, but the scene with the hair and Vermeer peeping around the corner and being caught...the 90 minutes invested in the film were worth that one scene.

See the review from Filmcritics.com

Still to watch this weekend:
Rent
Cinderella Man

...Fiona...

8 touched me

Blogger Megan Frampton pondered...

I've got Casanova on hold from the library, but mostly so I don't want to cry every time I see Heath Ledger (Brokeback Mtn. affected me quite a lot. I think it is the best movie ever made).

And GWaPE was only okay--Firth was too greasy, but the looks between them were luscious. Too bad the rest of the movie was kinda bleh. The guy playing the butcher was STUNNING, though. I didn't like the book so much, either, actually, which of course begs the question why I saw the damn movie in the first place. Two words: Colin Firth.

5/20/2006 08:11:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Firth does have a tendency to make a movie a 'must see' for me Megan.

OMG, the eyes on butcher boy...out of this world.

...Fi

5/21/2006 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

I started Rent today...

I didn't finish it.

There have not been many musicals that I have seen and haven't loved. But Rent? Yuck. Too many dark songs (and the low keys, not inspiring).

...Fi

5/21/2006 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Valeen pondered...

I watched this a couple weekends ago, laughed through most of it, it really wasn't what I was expecting. I don't think I'd sit through it to watch it a second time.

Rent - I have to agree it was a lot sadder and darker than I thought it was going to be. And there are only about half the songs that I really enjoyed. But I still liked it and was able to watch it all in one sitting.

5/21/2006 02:37:00 PM  
Blogger Megan Frampton pondered...

Hey, Butcher Boy was Cillian Murphy, who was the sociopath in Redeye, not that I saw it. I [heart] IMDB.

Very creepy eyes in that one, but so dishy in GWaPE. Hm.

5/21/2006 04:10:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Can I just say that I keep staring at the Rent box thinking, "You really should finish it." I'm so scared I'm missing out on this great ending or something. I am such a masochist!

Megan, IMDb is the best resource. Bless those people!

Okay, so lets discuss why Griet had sex with buther boy? Hello? Did I miss something? I figured out what they were doing and had to rub my eyes to make sure I was really seeing that. Did she think it was going to happen with Vermeer and wanted BB to have first dibs at the V card or what?

...Fi

5/21/2006 05:16:00 PM  
Blogger Megan Frampton pondered...

I guess you can't just say it was because he was so foxy.

It's been awhile since i read it, but I think it was because she knew there was no future for her in pining for Vermeer--that her place was as a lower-class servant, and she could secure her future by securing the BB, who at least had a steady job. And, too, he could protect her from Evil Aristocrat Guy, whereas Vermeer could not.

I'm not sure that was it, but that was what I think I remember.

5/21/2006 09:50:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

I like your version Megan, works for me.

Because BB was hot!

...Fi

5/22/2006 04:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.