A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Monday, May 08, 2006

Retro Monday...


Everywhere I looked this weekend, the 80s were coming up in the conversation. So, thought you might enjoy this!

You Know You Grew Up In The 80's or Early 90's If:

1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word SIKE. Of course!

2. You watched the Pound Puppies. I got one for my birthday! Gray with a brown spots on the butt.

3. You can sing the rap to the Fresh Prince of Belair and can do the Carlton. It was Philadelphia born an’ raised, on a playground is where I spent most of my days…shall I continue?

4. Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy. Mine were neon green and pink.

5. You yearned to be a member of the Baby-sitters club and tried to start a club of your own. Yes to both.

6. You owned those lil' Strawberry Shortcake pals scented dolls. Yes, almost all of them. I collected them from flea markets for a while. I still have them and have considered selling them on eBay but Mom says that would be sacrilege.

7. You know that "WOAH" comes from Joey on Blossom. He was such a hottie, but I liked the older brother, Anthony, better. (see #23 for explanation)

8. Two words: Hammer Pants. Not only did I have an orange and blue pair…my mother had a pair!

9. If you ever watched Fraggle Rock. We didn’t get HBO…just one of those big ass satellites that didn’t get anything but sports and news.

10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars... and spokey-dokes or playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect. Not really sure playing cards classifies as 80s, but I had the neon spokey-dokes.

11. You can sing the entire theme song to DuckTales. Not only do I know Duck Tales, but I also know Tiny Toons, which followed.

12. It was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons. Can we say Zack (Saved by the Bell)?

13. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head. Of course.

14. You saw the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the big screen...and still know the turtles names. Do you mean the quartet of humanoid turtles trained by their mentor in ninjitsu who must learn to pull together in order to face the menace of Shredder and the Foot Clan?

15. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school. I bought this at Wal-Mart several months ago in the bargain bin! LOVED this game!

16. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in a knot on the side. We got them at the flea market, decorated with puffy paint and rhinestones.

17. You played the game MASH (Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House) Still do.

18. You wore stonewashed Jordache jean jackets and were proud of it. Yup.

19. L.A. Gear....need I say more? I got a black denim LA Gear jacket with the LA Gear logo sequined on the back. I kept that bad boy for years…LOVED it! It went well with my white and pink LA Gear hi-tops.

20. You wanted to change your name to JEM in Kindergarten.(She's truly outrageous). Don’t know this one.

21. You remember reading Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and all the Ramona books. Every one of them, I think.

22. You know the profound meaning of WAX ON, WAX OFF. Profound? I know I said it this weekend!

23. You wanted to be a Goonie. Oh yes, this began my love affair with the ‘nerds’ of movies. First it was the younger, asthmatic brother of Goonies and then it was on to Goose from Top Gun.

24. You ever wore fluorescent clothing. Everything! But what I remember most was this hair barrette that was made out of neon green and pink shoelaces (went with the bicycle shorts ya know)!

25. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted. Yup. God, the glove, the jacket…

26. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female Smurf. That is a good question...

27. You took lunch boxes to school... and traded Garbage Pail Kids in the schoolyard. Garbage Pail Kids were awesome!

28. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets.
Oh yes.

29. You still get the urge to say NOT after every sentence. *hangs head* I still do this sometimes.

30. You remember Hypercolor t-shirts. Had a pink one that turned purple.

31. Barbie and the Rockers was your favorite band. Nope.

32. You thought She-ra (Princess of Power!) and He-Man should hook up. Weren’t they?

33. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged handmade friendship bracelets. Of course.

34. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes. (and like #24, probably in neon colors, too). Purple.

35. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying, "I know you are, but what am I?" Who didn't?

36. You remember "I've fallen and I can't get up". Did you know Donatello says this in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III?

37. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates. Thursday nights. After a while, I got to work behind the counter and pass out skates. This I did for free mind you, because it meant I was cool. What a sucker.

38. You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide. Scar is on my right arm.

39. You have ever played with a Skip-It. Easter: Skip-It Skip off=Champion.

40. You had or attended a birthday party at McDonalds. Two years in a row.

41. You've gone through this nodding your head in agreement. And my neck hurts from doing that.

42. You remember Popples. Um, no.

43. Don't worry, be happy. I remember that!

44. You wore like, EIGHT pairs of socks over tights with high top Reeboks. 3 pairs and the hi-tops were LA Gear.

45. You wore socks scrunched down (and sometimes still do... getting yelled at by younger hip members of the family). Yes.

46. You remember boom boxes. . and walking around with one on your shoulder like you were all that. Remember them, didn’t have one though.

47. You remember watching both Gremlins movies. I still won’t sleep without a night light. My mom got me all the books and records that were given out with kid meals from…Hardees?

48. You know what it meant to say Care Bear Stare!! Yes I do! My cousin, Mandy, and I would do this when her little brother would throw a fit.

49. You remember watching Rainbow Bright and My Little Pony. Oh yes…I had the doll too.

50. You thought Doogie Howser was hot. Absolutely…didn’t I talk about nerds already?

51. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac. Yup.

52. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool... and don't even flinch when people refer to them as NKOTB. I had every cassette tape, every poster.

53. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on Saved By The Bell The ORIGINAL class. Zack, Screech, Lisa, Kelly, AC Slater and Jessie. And I did that without pausing!

54. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART. Um, no

55. You just sang those words to yourself. Nope.

56. You remember watching Magic vs. Bird. Yes…satellite, remember?

57. Homemade Levi shorts.. (the shorter the better). Oh god, the memories!

58. You remember when mullets were cool! Oh yes.

59. You had a mullet! Um…yes?

60. You still sing "We are the World". I love that song...we are the children....

61. You tight rolled your jeans. How can I forget that? I was a pro!

62. You owned a banana clip. Quite a few!

63. You remember Where's the Beef? That was funny. Had the t-shirt.

64. You used to (and probably still do) say What you talkin' about Willis? No.

65. You had big hair and you knew how to use it. The taller the bangs, the better.

66. You're still singing shot through the heart in your head, aren't you!!! No.

67. Did you enjoy your little trip down memory lane? Very much so.

...Fiona...

5 touched me

Anonymous Anonymous pondered...

Love the Goonies. One of my favorites movies ever. I think it was the first movie I had ever seen that had an Asian in it.

5/08/2006 03:00:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Oh man, talk about portraying stereotypes! LOL

But it was a good movie. I remember the guys in our college dorm would yell in Sloth tone, "Hey you guys" down the hallways at 3am. Fun times *rolling eyes*.

...Fi

5/08/2006 07:35:00 PM  
Blogger ~ames~ pondered...

I laughed so hard while reading this. And cringed. I'm guilty of so many of those things - and I still think She-Ra is going to hook up with Hercules. I really miss those saturday morning cartoons. *sigh*

Thanks Fiona!

5/08/2006 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger Valeen pondered...

That was wicked! hahaa ... I think I answered yes to about 55 of them. So sad.

5/09/2006 03:52:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

Ames, Valeen, so glad you enjoyed.

As embarrassing as our childhoods were, at least we have claims to fame. I often find myself wondering how the children of the 2000s are going to define themselves.

But then again, fashion doesn't tend to look bad until it is in retrospect.

...Fi

5/09/2006 06:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.