A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Monday, May 08, 2006

Idiocy reigns...

I try not to let stuff like this get me worked up, but it still amazes me how the voices of a few can sometimes sound like the screams of the masses.

**Warning--Liberal, feminist and just plain political views to follow**


Know Roe v. Wade?
Without even going into the "it's my body, it's my decision" gambit, know that things are perilously close to changing. Where we have spent 20 years defending a decision that has saved countless numbers of women's lives by practically obliterating back alley abortions, our daughters might have to spend the next 20 years fighting Griswold v. Connecticut. See NY times Contra-Contraception article.



Sex Education?

Same-sex relationships are a part of the world we now live in. It is a reality. Whether you agree or not, whether you like it or not, it is a fact. As teachers, we must teach to all of the students in our classes and more and more often, that includes students who come from same-gender partnerships. So what the hell is this about? Wanna know why teachers and classrooms are losing creativity and looking more and more like robotic scenes being pushed off of an assembly line? Our wacky ass civil court system. Everyday teachers walk into their classrooms and face 25 smiling little lawsuits in the making. Talk about a high-stress job!



Free Speech...ain't always free?
As a teacher in Florida, you can probably guess my feelings for No Child Left Behind. But just in case you can't, I think it is crap. Now don't get me wrong, I think it has many good merits and I definitely think teachers should be held accountable, but I find NCLB is much like communism...it looks great on paper but goes to hell with the wrong idiot in charge. In addition to that rant, I also think it is crap that private companies are able to squash our freedom of speech, as seen here.

Thanks to Fuse for the always enlightening links.

**pushing soapbox back into corner**


And speaking of idiots:


...Fiona...

5 touched me

Blogger Megan Frampton pondered...

Once again, I completely agree with you. My new hero is the Indian woman in South Dakota who is planning to build a women's health care service on their reservation because of SD's prohibitively strict abortion laws. Not even for rape or incest. It makes me sick.

5/08/2006 07:06:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

For those of you interested, the woman Megan is referring to is Cecilia Fire Thunderbird.

You can read about Cecilia's fight in Indian Country Today

In summary:

"Cecilia Fire Thunder, president of the Oglala Sioux Tribe, surprisingly became a national figure in the fight to provide women with reproductive choices and rights. She is bringing traditional cultural attitudes to the forefront of the debate for the first time nationally."

You go girl.

...Fi

5/08/2006 07:40:00 PM  
Blogger ~ames~ pondered...

Cecilia is my new hero! I am glad you brought all these issues to light Fiona.

5/08/2006 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Wall pondered...

I think I need to start Strong Womens Day...like Beth's Smart Bitches Day.

What day of the week would be good for that? Hmmm....

5/10/2006 06:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous pondered...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

5/20/2006 06:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.