A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Can cover artists read?

Cover artists are quickly becoming the bane of my existence. Perhaps someone can tell me how the whole process works, because sadly I must say that I do not know. If I had to guess, I would say that either:

A) The cover artists read the book and then create a cover (apparently not likely)

or

B) Someone tells the cover artist (author, publisher, publicist?) what they would like to see on the cover of a book.

So...how the hell do they get it SO WRONG?

I like tasteful covers, I like landscape covers, I can even understand (if I'm not crazy about) covers featuring representations of the characters, but I expect the details to be right! Especially when talking about the characters. I don't use the cover models as the representation of the characters in my mind, but they start the basis for my mental picture. I even find myself referring back to the picture multiple times during my reading to reinforce my mental image. So why do authors let representations get so far off the mark?

I am not going to bash the titles/cover artists/authors, but let me just tell you...

Two weeks ago I read a book in which the herione has light brown hair. Cover model herione has...yep, blonde! WTF?!?

One week ago, I read a novel where the h/h are in a love scene and she runs her hands through the hair on his chest. Cover model hero has...yep, shaved, smooth chest! WTF?!?

And yesterday, I finish a novel where the cover model herione is pictured wearing a red dress. What's the big deal you ask? The DEAD WIFE's signature color was red! WTF?!?

Arrrgggggggg.

...Fiona...

1 touched me

Blogger Suisan pondered...

Unfortunately I'm not sure that authors have that much clout when it comes to approving or editing the covers.

My aunt had a fantasy book published in the early eighties. About a fourth grader travelling to a Middle Eastern based alternate universe (bad synopsis: Narnia in Persia) Cover mock-up comes back with this hot chickie babe in a metal bustier and bare legs leading a mounted procession of warriors past a onion-domed castle.

The cover image didn't even depict the main characters! It was a brief dream the main character had in the middle of the book. Oh well--not much could be done.

4/15/2006 05:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.