A mixture of romance, work and life left to simmer on a weak flame.

"Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker."--Unknown.

"I learned long ago that being Lewis Carrol was infinitely more exciting than being Alice."--Joyce Carol Oates

Blogroll Me!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

To cheat or not to cheat...

Reposting...

Okay, I wasn’t sure what I was going to address today (yesterday actually), but thanks to Sybil I just can’t get this cheating heroes idea out of my head.

What?!? A cheating hero? Seriously?

You know, I don’t consider myself a conservative, but infidelity in my romance is just a big no-no. How is it considered a romance? I know I read one novel (McNaught? Lindsey?) where the hero was still with his mistress after he had met the heroine. He was not emotionally committed yet but it still bothered me. Even years later I still think, “If only he’d let the mistress go that would have been a perfect book.”

So what’s the problem Fiona? Perfection. Plain and simply, I’m looking for perfection in my heroes. I want a perfect world with perfect people and a perfect HEA. Why? Because that is my escape. I go to these perfect worlds in order to keep the ugly and nastiness of real life from making me go insane! So why would I want to ruin it with something that is so much a part of reality?

Perhaps the fact that I read (almost) strictly historicals colors my vantage point. I can see infidelity having a bigger arena in contemp/paranormal/fantasy.

But what bothers me the most as I finish this post is the fact that my entire rant (in my head) has revolved around the hero cheating. Never once did I consider the heroine. That, I could probably forgive…and why is that? Because she’s a woman like me? Am I that hypocritical? Hmmmmm…. Anyone else? Could you forgive the heroine but not the hero? Has that happened with the heroine? Can anyone give me a title?

...Fiona...

2 touched me

Blogger Kristie (J) pondered...

I had the same thoughts when this subject came up too. And I couldn't think of any book where the heroine cheats - and I really thought hard about it too. I'd be interested to see if anyone can come up with a title also.

4/14/2006 06:57:00 PM  
Blogger romancelover pondered...

The heroine is usually too busy crying over the hero...although I'm not exactly sure if I'd like a book in which she cheats...but then again I don't normally like books with cheating heroes either. Although...I wonder if a plot in which the heroine cheats out of spite would intrigue me...maybe if she's caught by the hero and dumped and then years go by and he hates her and makes her life hell...hmm....nah! I don't think I could stomach it...unless the hero dumps her because he thinks she cheated on him and she might believe it, too, because she was drunk or passed out in some guy's bed and the guy (who's...like...totally in love with her) makes her believe that they had sex...later maybe on the guy's deathbed, he tells her that they never slept together and she tries to tell the hero but NO GO...he doesn't believe her...ok...I think I'm overdoing it...gosh, that'd be a fun book to read though.

4/15/2006 02:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All content belongs to Fiona. All graphics made by Fiona unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy.